Through the generosity of its Members, the Association has awarded more than $125 million in privately funded need-based scholarships to more than 22,000 young people over the past 31 years in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. It has also become a leading resource for information about teenagers, resiliency, and nonprofit best practices. For a full listing of Horatio Alger Scholarship Programs and award totals, please click here.
To be eligible to apply for a Horatio Alger State Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria*:
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior in the United States; be progressing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2017 with plans to enter a college in the United States no later than the fall following graduation
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution)
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required)
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0; and
- Be a United States citizen
*applicants for the Louisiana and Montana state scholarships must meet additional eligibility criteria.
Applications will be accepted for the Louisiana, Montana and South Dakota scholarships January 15 – April 15, 2017.Apply Now FAQs