Scholarships valued at up to $10,000 each
State scholarships are awarded to eligible students in all fifty states and the District of Columbia. The program specifically assists high school students who have faced and overcome great obstacles in their young lives. The scholarships are funded by Horatio Alger Members who, like the Scholars, have experienced challenges but ultimately overcame them to become successful business and civic leaders. For a full listing of Horatio Alger Scholarship Programs and their funders, please click here.
To be eligible to apply for a Horatio Alger State Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria*:
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior in the United States; be progressing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2019 with plans to enter a college in the United States no later than the fall following graduation
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution)
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required)
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0; and
- Be a United States citizen
*applicants for the Montana state scholarships must meet additional eligibility criteria.
The application is open annually from August 1 – October 25.FAQs