The Horatio Alger Association Privacy Statement
We protect your information.
We protect the confidentiality of your personal information by using industry-recognized security safeguards, such as firewalls, coupled with carefully developed security procedures that protect your information from loss, misuse or unauthorized alteration. When we ask for sensitive information, such as credit card numbers, we encrypt it as it is transmitted to us.
We tell you how we intend to use your information.
When we ask you for information, we tell you, or it will be clear, what we need to fulfill your request and how we will use it.
- We do not make your personal information available to anyone outside of Horatio Alger for any marketing purpose.
- We do not sell or rent your personal information to anyone.
You can contact us with privacy questions.
Please contact the Privacy Team or write us at:
Horatio Alger Association
99 Canal Center Plaza
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Upon request to the Privacy Team via postal mail, e-mail or telephone (during regular business hours), the Horatio Alger Association will provide to visitors a summary of any personally identifiable information retained by the Horatio Alger Association regarding the visitor. Visitors may modify, correct, change or update personally identifiable information that the Horatio Alger Association has collected through its Web sites or may cause their personal record to be removed from the Horatio Alger Association’s database by contacting the Privacy Team.
Visitors may opt out of having their personal information collected and used by the Horatio Alger Association for the purposes stated above by contacting the Privacy Team.
Disclosure of your information.
The Horatio Alger Association will protect and keep your personally identifiable information private and will not disclose this information to third-parties. However, the Horatio Alger Association may disclose your personally identifiable information as follows:
- With your consent.
- To Horatio Alger Association’s agents and advisors (such as our accountants and attorneys). We will only disclose the personal information necessary for them to provide their services to you or us, and only under strict confidentiality restrictions.
- If you partake (or that we reasonably suspect that you are partaking) in any illegal or potentially illegal activity. Under these circumstances, we may disclose personally identifiable information even without a subpoena, warrant, or other court order, to the extent we feel necessary to inform or cooperate with law enforcement agencies or other appropriate authorities.
- In aggregated form, i.e., information about multiple users collectively without identifying any individual user, such as the total number of visitors to a particular section of our Web sites in a given week.
We tell you about Web technologies.
We use a variety of technologies on our Web site. Among these are cookies; pieces of information that our Web sites provide to your browser when you visit our sites. Cookies allow us to track overall site usage and determine areas users prefer, and also allow us to make your visit to our Web site easier by recognizing you when you return and helping to provide you with a customized experience. You can choose to decline cookies while at our Web site; however, this may limit your ability to access certain areas of the Web site. Most browsers accept and maintain cookies by default. Check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preference.
Our Web site tracks usage data, including, for example, your IP address, your browser type and version, which pages you view, which page, if any, linked you to our site, and which link, if any, you follow off of our site. We use this data in the aggregate to better understand Web site activity to improve our site offerings. We do not track URLs that you type into your browser, nor do we track you across the Internet once you leave our sites.
We may access and set cookies using web beacons, also known as single-pixel GIFs, which are invisible graphical images. These web beacons provide us useful information regarding our site, such as which pages users access. When we send you e-mails, we may include a single-pixel GIF to allow us to determine the number of people who open our e-mails. When you click on a link in an e-mail, we record this individual response to allow us to customize our offerings to you.
Links to third party web sites.
Other things we want you to know.
We may use other sources to supplement the information you give us. For example, we may validate your address using other sources. We use this data to help us maintain accuracy and provide you with better service.
Copyright © 2013, the Horatio Alger Association
Last Updated: 7/1/2013