In addition to scholarship support, the Association offers a number of services and opportunities to Horatio Alger Scholars including:
- ALUMNI ASSOCIATION: All Scholars who have graduated from college become part of the Alumni community and are eligible for opportunities such as graduate grants and Alumni regional gatherings. Alumni Scholars also give back by providing a diverse range of supports for Scholars such as career connections, care packages, personalized letters, and much more.
- Information is delivered to Scholars through online curriculum to prepare them for their first year of post-secondary. Topics are varied, but include mental health support and awareness, note-taking and study skills, and becoming involved on campus.
- COLLEGIATE PARTNERS PROGRAM: Collegiate Partners agree to maximize the non-loan aid available to Scholars and provide a point of contact on campus to help Scholars navigate available campus resources.
- Emergency financial support, including housing and food assistance, provide a life line for Scholars who experience adverse circumstances.
- Support is provided to Scholars and applicants regarding college selection, taking into consideration the anticipated debt load and course of study to determine which institutions are the best fit.
- The Association ensures that Scholars at risk of homelessness have somewhere to go during their winter and spring breaks. :
- Internship stipends allow Scholars to take advantage of unpaid internships; externships provide short-term experiential learning opportunities provided by Member or Alumni organizations and career mentoring is supported through the Association’s online networking platform.
- HAA Connect is an online networking tool where Scholars and Alumni can connect and reach out for help. The Association and Alumni community also use this tool to post volunteer opportunities and upcoming events for Scholars and Alumni. :
- : Scholars are eligible to participate in online courses offered in partnership with University of North Carolina – Wilmington. Current topics include entrepreneurship and financial literacy. Credits are earned toward their degree with no additional cost to the Scholar.
- : Once Scholars are awarded a Horatio Alger scholarship, they become members of the Horatio Alger family. Horatio Alger Alumni and staff keep in regular contact with Scholars through email, text, phone calls and mail.
- Scholars may participate in online courses in business etiquette, finances and other topics to get a head start on preparing for the professional world.
- 24/7 access to confidential counseling services assist Scholars and Alumni facing mental, emotional, social, financial, legal, and other life challenges.